I/O timeout when syncing tasks with Kolabnow

• Updated to DAVdroid 1.0, did a fresh install together with Open Tasks as recommended. Calendar and Contacts work well. Tasks are weird: Tasks created on mobile sync up to Kolab. Tasks created or modified on Kolab do not sync down to mobile device.
    Tested with 2 mobiles: Note4 on stock 5.1.1; Tab Pro 10.1 on CM 12.1 - both behave identically.

• developer

Have just tried it with KolabNow, everything works here.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: What's required to diagnose a problem

• Ok then, let's try. I have created these tasks, all with due date + hour:

• "task created on mobile"

• "task 2 created on mobile"

• "task created on server"

• "task 2 created on server"

For clarification - all names are different and include where created.

Manually triggered sync, repeatedly. All tasks show up on kolabnow server and on my desktop running kontact / kde. On my mobile, only the tasks created on the mobile show up, not the ones created on the server (or on the desktop - server and desktop are in sync anyway).

Link to debug info: http://ur1.ca/oq4lc (replaced my details with 'user@domain.com')
    Link to sync log: http://ur1.ca/oq4v6 (as above - had to shorten it massively and hope I left over the relevant bits, only deleted before task sync started).

As mentioned, tasks created on the mobile make it to the server but mobile does not seem to download from server. Also true if I update "task created on mobile" (e.g. mark as complete) on the server - the task on the mobile will not be updated.

No errors are reported.

• developer

@mbl According to your logs, there's a timeout error when DAVdroid tries to query the remote tasks (REPORT calendar-query for VTODOs on /calendars/user%40domain.com/cb73089535b2-291e00c50d74-7b23c667/6665b5aa-52fb-4de8-9a66-d0cacb3ffc65.ics):

I/O exception during sync, trying again later
    EXCEPTION java.net.SocketTimeoutException: timeout

This is a soft error (I/O) error, therefore DAVdroid doesn't show a notification. Android will try again later. If the error persists, please try switching the network (WiFi?).

• Ah that's interesting... that was on wifi. Just tried again on LTE and guess what:

[code]2016-04-01 17:56:24 7 [syncadapter.SyncManager] I/O exception during sync, trying again later[/code]

Strange.

• developer

@mbl Maybe the timeout comes from KolabNow (which would be strange because it works here). However, it seems to be some networking problem and not a DAVdroid problem.

• Understand in principle but it's weird that i) both mobile devices have the issue while the laptop is fine using the same network and ii) that it affects download not upload. I/O should hit arbitrarily. Will wait and see.

I saw a 204 No data somewhere as well but that's probably unrelated...

• developer

@mbl said:

Understand in principle but it's weird that i) both mobile devices have the issue while the laptop is fine using the same network

A networking problem is not the same as a network problem. A networking problem could, for instance, be a firewall on a certain device which blocks specific connections.

and ii) that it affects download not upload. I/O should hit arbitrarily. Will wait and see.

Indeed. Maybe the KolabNow server times out when this collection is queried? Do you have many entries in it? Did you try other collections?

• Yes I have a lot of contact and calendar data and all of that syncs properly in both directions (using the same Kolabnow connections). Only the calendar "Tasks" is affected and that only in one direction:

• kolabserver -> either mobile = nothing; while

• kolabserver <- either mobile = fine and

• kolabserver <-> laptop = fine

Looks like your connection to Bitfire App Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.